- This event has passed.
Gingerbread House Contest Workshops
December 4, 2021 - December 5, 2021Free
Gingerbread House Recipe
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup un-sulphured molasses
41/2 – 5 cups flour
1 tbsp. ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Melt butter or margarine and add sugar and molasses until dissolved. Cool.
- Stir 41/2 flour and other dry ingredients in a bowl, and make a hole in the center.
- Pour warm molasses-sugar-butter mixture into hole and blend well until too stiff to stir.
- Then knead with hands until dough forms a ball and leaves sides of bowl.
- Add remaining 1/2C. Flour or more if dough feels too sticky to work.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap to rest.
- Roll out portion of dough to 14″ or less, best on piece of parchment paper. Cut to fit cookie sheet.
- Place patterns on dough and cut out house shapes with a knife. Clear unnecessary dough and save for future rolling.
- Bake without moving the house pieces at 350F for 12-15 min.
- Remove paper from cookie sheet carefully, trimming further if necessary.
- Carefully remove pieces from paper to racks. Let cool.
- If you allow these to sit for a few days they harden making it easier to assemble and decorate.
Royal Icing Recipe
- Place 2 egg whites in a bowl. (Can reconstitute from egg white powder or buy whites in carton).
- Add 31/2 confectioner’s powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar and 1 tsp. salt. Beat until creamy.
- Add just enough lemon juice (about 2 tbsp.) to make creamy as whipped cream..
- Cover bowl with damp dishtowel or plastic wrap.
Gingerbread house construction
- Make a cardboard base (for small house, at least 6″ x 6″, large 9″ x 9″) and cover with aluminum foil.
- With icing bag and tip with large opening (can get at Walmart) pipe icing on base and side edges of house pieces and sides and assemble on base. Augment icing as needed to make structure stand. Pipe icing on roof edges of front and back and sides of house, as well as joining roof sections and assemble roof pieces on house. Let icing completely dry before decorating with icing, candies, licorice, candy canes, cereal pieces etc.
Use your imagination and get creative decorating!
- December 4, 2021
- December 5, 2021
- Event Category:
- Events Calendar
- Seneca Falls Heritage and Tourism Center
- View Organizer Website